Touch is Good “Medicine”
Compassionate Touch® is an approach combining skilled touch and specialized communication shown to prevent behavioral expression in people with dementia and reduce job stress in care-partners.
- Is Feasible: Uses existing resources | Easy to learn | Practicality ensures sustainability
- Is Effective: Decreases anxiety | Promotes sleep | Eases pain | Builds trust in caregivers | Provides a non-pharmacological prevention strategy for behavioral symptoms
- Facilitates Staff Satisfaction: Reduces job burnout | Builds strong relationships | Aligns with person-centered care practices
- Encourages Family Engagement: Provides a means for family to calm, comfort and support their loved one | Enhances the family’s experience as a member of the care-team
- Strengthens Marketability with a unique program for community outreach | Sets your organization apart | Demonstrates commitment to culture change
- Upon completion of the six- hour training, participants are designated as Compassionate Touch Coaches and empowered to train staff in their facility or organization and conduct family or community outreach presentations. The facility or organization is licensed to use the Compassionate Touch program and materials. To help ensure sustainability, AGE-u-cate provides on-going support for Coaches throughout the license period.
Coach Training Objectives and Content Outline
- This three-hour workshop is open to any caregiver wanting to incorporate Compassionate Touch approaches into their own work serving people with dementia. The experiential focus of the session makes the knowledge "come alive" and attendees leave with a skill that can immediately be applied as a new tool.
Caregiver Training Objectives and Content Outline